Old 01-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #31
LStetz
Casting On

knit stitch
Hello

I thought i was pulling the needle though, and now they come off the needle and i thought i was not it did not manner which needle, boyle and was un michaels over the weekend and so some were wood, others were plastic.

I will have to go though the web video again which i always have it on when i am doing this, I was trying the English method because it seemed like i was able to handle the needles and yarn better

thanks

Lisa
LStetz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Maybe the still pictures here and illustrations here will be better for you than a video. Those pages also have videos which could show it from a different perspective for you. It doesn't matter which needles you use, what's important is how you insert the R needle into the stitch on the L needle, wrapping the yarn, and pulling it through the old stitch.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #33
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Lisa, it sounds like you are pulling the yarn through IN BETWEEN the stitches that were on the needle.

You should be pulling the yarn THROUGH THE LOOP of each stitch on the needle.

You need to insert the empty needle INTO the first loop on the needle, wrap the yarn around, and pull it through that loop. Then, carry this stitch over to the other needle. Next, move onto the next loop, doing the same thing.

Good luck!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #34
LStetz
Casting On

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
Lisa, it sounds like you are pulling the yarn through IN BETWEEN the stitches that were on the needle.

You should be pulling the yarn THROUGH THE LOOP of each stitch on the needle.

You need to insert the empty needle INTO the first loop on the needle, wrap the yarn around, and pull it through that loop. Then, carry this stitch over to the other needle. Next, move onto the next loop, doing the same thing.

Good luck!
Dear Sue and Sandy:

I looked at your you tube, and i realized that I was doing, that, kinda new the first time I did so I did two rows of knit stitch does not look great so now that i watched your youtube I am not going to practice again before I go to the next step.

Thanks

Lisa
LStetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 AM   #35
Lilly1
Casting On

Thank you, I just saw this in a pattern and was confused.

how does it work for circular knitting ? thank you Lilly1
Lilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #36
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilly1 View Post
Thank you, I just saw this in a pattern and was confused. how does it work for circular knitting ? thank you Lilly1
Hi Lilly, If you are following a pattern that is written for circular knitting, and the pattern says, "knit the knits and purl the purls", you will read the stitches just like we described here.

But, if you are CHANGING a straight knitting pattern to circular instead, you will have to do things differently. You'll learn by practice, and by seeing the stitches form correctly. So, just give it a try, and see how it works.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #37
suzeeq
Knit On!

A rib pattern should work out the same if you knit the knits and purl the purls whether you work it flat or in the round.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #38
Girlypurl
Casting On

Moss vs. Seed and Correcting Mistakes
Hello. I've recently discovered that Moss and Seed are not the same. I've been reading for months that the two are interchangeable. I learned just yesterday that they are not. Although similar they are different row by row. I just ripped back a project that was giving me grief because I was doing a seed stitch when I should have been doing a moss stitch. That being said I would like to get an idea how to fix my stitches if I've knit or purled when I should have done the opposite. Does that make sense? There is a video here on fixing dropped stitches which is a great video, (love them all here) but I guess I need to see exactly what I need to do to fix that kind of mistake. I never realized how much of a visual learner I am until I started knitting! Thanks all!
Girlypurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #39
suzeeq
Knit On!

They're only similar in that they alternate the knit and purl sts, but they vary row by row. To fix a wrong st, knit till you're over it, then drop the stitch down to where it's wrong, then make it a knit or purl whatever it needs to be by pulling the loose strand of yarn through the loop on the correct side. Then bring the st up through the rest of the strands, probably turning it from side to side as you do since it may be easier to do the knit side.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #40
scrapnrn
Casting On

I am brand new to knitting and my knit and purl stitches look the same even though I had my working yarn in back for the knit and in front for the purl. They all have the "bump". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
scrapnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scrapnrn For This Useful Post:
Unravel (12-24-2011)