Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #501
nephthys8

Originally Posted by Howdovely View Post
Randall and I went to Biltmore House in Asheville, NC yesterday and the Summer Olympics blanket came along for the ride!
So, first off, I'm excited to hear that this one has gotten underway!

On a different, but related (literally), note, I am related to Frederick Law Olmsted, the man who designed the grounds at Biltmore Estate, the National Zoo here in DC, Central Park in NYC, and several other places. We went to Biltmore years ago on vacation and I would love to go back sometime. Incidentally, my last name is Olmsted. Just thought I'd share!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #502
lizardknits
1st Leg of the Journey

yay for famous relatives!!!!!
I have definitely heard of Frederick Law Olmstead, better known as the father of the parks movement or landscaping and architectural design (My degree will be in recreation and parks management, so I have learned about the history of recreation and parks over my time here as well as stuff related directly to what I will be doing in the future....the not too distant future, I might add....Im finishing school in August of next year!!!!!!!wOOt)

otn- a beautiful turquoise blanket in moss stitch (for previously mentioned cousin's coming second child, due late july 2012)
FO- a few hats in the round(just taught myself to join without twisting)
to try next- an entrelac blanket with yarn someone gave my mom
something else fun- making a blanket in the round
lizardknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #503
nephthys8

Originally Posted by lizardknits View Post
yay for famous relatives!!!!!
I have definitely heard of Frederick Law Olmstead, better known as the father of the parks movement or landscaping and architectural design (My degree will be in recreation and parks management, so I have learned about the history of recreation and parks over my time here as well as stuff related directly to what I will be doing in the future....the not too distant future, I might add....Im finishing school in August of next year!!!!!!!wOOt)
That is awesome! I went to Yosemite this summer (back in June) and went to Olmsted point as well. My family and I had our picture taken by the sign with the name on it because that's how we roll, lol.

Just a side note, too... if you use his/our last name in any papers, make sure you spell it right. It's a very common error, but there's no "a" in it.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #504
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Lisa, I updated the blog with your answers. Did you take a picture of Atlantic waves? I would love to add it to the blog as well.

Erica - that's cool! My friends have a dog named Olmsted that they found as a puppy in Central Park. I guess I didn't realize he (the person not the dog) was responsible for more than Central Park.

Sandy and Brenda you are both making me really want to make the trip. Mom and I have been talking about it for years but haven't had the chance yet. I'll have to show her your pictures, they are beautiful!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #505
nephthys8

Here's my survey!
What is your favorite fiber?
Anything soft. I'm not super-familiar with different fibers yet, so really anything that feels nice.

What fibers do you not like?
I'm starting to understand why 100% acrylic just isn't as special as some of these others. Looking back, I wish I'd known more about yarn before I made a whole blanket out of acrylic yarn. So, anything that is rough, itchy, and/or un-natural is not really my thing.

Are you allergic to anything, knitting or non-knitting related?
Pollen, dust, and (to some mild extent) pets. But I have a cat and my roommate has a dog. I promise it isn't severe or anything.

Are there any yarn types you don't like? (eyelash, etc)
Anything having to do with lace and/or that is white. I like colors and I don't do lace... I'm just not interested in it.

What weight yarn do you prefer?
I don't think I have a preference, but so far I have only knitted with worsted and bought some sock/fingering yarn that I have yet to try. (I hope I love it, though, because I really want to make cute socks!) I would LOVE to try some bulky or super-bulky, but I have to stop buying yarn for the moment and work on the projects that I have already started.

Is there a weight yarn you don't like?
Again, probably anything that looks like it is for lace. Everything else I feel like I can find a use for.

What do you like to knit? (sock, scarves, hats, afghans, etc.)
I like practial things mostly. I've done scaves and blankets and I want to try socks (badly) and maybe gloves, too. I personally don't like wearing hats, so I can't see doing those. When I get very brave I might do a sweater, but I would also have to find a pattern that I really love, first.

What knitting accessories do you like or use a lot? Not like or not use?
I don't think I really have a lot of gadjets yet. I did buy a row-counter, but found that I really dislike the extra weight on a straight needle. I have not tried the kind that you pin to the piece, though. I just started working with circulars (I bought sizes 1, 2, and 8 so that I could do socks and basic things with worsted-weight yarn) and I am really liking those because they travel SO much easier.

What non-knitting things do you like?
I ride my bike outside for exercise and I really love that! I'm also addicted to a whole list of TV shows (Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Dexter, Hereos, Weeds, House M.D., I think there's more...). I LOVE sushi and chocolate, but not chocolate with coconut or nuts and dark chocolate or chocolate with caramel is extra yummy!

Favorite scent?
Lilac, Bath and Body Works Cucumber Melon or Honeysuckle (not really sure if they make either of those anymore)... anything really except vanilla (I know, I'm weird :P) and spicy scents (which I am pretty particular about).

Favorite color?
Purple has been a biggie for me for a while now, but I like all colors, so long as they are muted and not pastel. I also prefer earth-tones (blue, green, brown, etc.) and can't usually find anything to do with orange and yellow (neither of which I really like all that well).

Favorite flavor?
Chocolate! (See above.) Also, anything fruity (strawberry, grape, watermelon, etc.) with the exception of lemon and banana (gross flavors for candy, in my opinion).

Do you collect anything?
I do collect stuffed animals, but it is a very space-hogging thing to collect and I've basically stopped buying them. I can still appreciate a very nice teddy bear (the $40 ones that are super-soft), but it isn't something I really indulge in anymore. One day, I hope to have a curio cabinet to put all of them in. Also, I like unusual/local jewelery that doesn't look like what you find in department stores. For example, I have a black coral necklace that my parents bought me from the Cayman Islands, and some special celtic-inspired pieces I bought for myself in the UK.

Anything else you like that is not listed here?
I have a cat, Ellie, who is my furry baby--whether she likes it or not. I spoil her and love her to pieces.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #506
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Originally Posted by nephthys8 View Post
So, first off, I'm excited to hear that this one has gotten underway!

On a different, but related (literally), note, I am related to Frederick Law Olmsted, the man who designed the grounds at Biltmore Estate, the National Zoo here in DC, Central Park in NYC, and several other places. We went to Biltmore years ago on vacation and I would love to go back sometime. Incidentally, my last name is Olmsted. Just thought I'd share!
Wow, how cool! We have only seen a tiny portion of the grounds so far, but everything near the house is just georgeous. I get so hung up on the views tho - that I miss so much else!

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #507
kellybigeyes
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by nephthys8 View Post

Favorite scent?
Lilac, Bath and Body Works Cucumber Melon or Honeysuckle (not really sure if they make either of those anymore)... anything really except vanilla (I know, I'm weird :P) and spicy scents (which I am pretty particular about).

Favorite flavor?
Chocolate! (See above.) Also, anything fruity (strawberry, grape, watermelon, etc.) with the exception of lemon and banana (gross flavors for candy, in my opinion).
Erica... I don't like the scent of vanilla. I like if Iam cooking/baking with it, but I don't like lotions or candles that smell like vanilla. YUCKY!! I don't like banana flavored candy... but I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon anything!!!

I am also kellybigeyes at http://www.ravelry.com/
kellybigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #508
nephthys8

Originally Posted by kellybigeyes View Post
Erica... I don't like the scent of vanilla. I like if Iam cooking/baking with it, but I don't like lotions or candles that smell like vanilla. YUCKY!! I don't like banana flavored candy... but I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon anything!!!
Haha, YES! I am not alone!! And yes, I agree that vanilla when baking is lovely (and that's the only time). Also, I know so many people who LOOOOOOVE lemon candy. My friend Jackie from college used to down big handfuls of Lemonheads. It made me feel ill, lol.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #509
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Originally Posted by kellybigeyes View Post
How funny! I've never known anyone else that didn't like it either! It makes me nauseous to smell Vanilla Candles, perfume, lotion - anything. Yuck

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #510
LBECK
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to LBECK
Atlantic Waves
Yes, I did get a pic of Atlantic waves last night. Here she is. I am not too happy with the color that I picked after I got in on there it didn't look as good as I had hoped. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlantic Waves.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	50042  

OTN: Several WIPs
Crocheting baby items for a gift shop.

I am yarnin4aproj on Ravelry.

" May every stitch you knit bring you a little closer to that calm, clear space in the center of your soul. --- Earth Heart Designs"
LBECK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LBECK For This Useful Post:
HollyP (09-16-2008), MAmaDawn (09-16-2008)