Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
WIP: Viking Cables Scarves
Hi Y'all!

Ingrid inspired me with her beautifully cabled scarves using variegated yarns! She posted 4 photos! Scroll down on the KH page. She used Karaoke and Malabrigo yarn. I had trouble finding those yarns at local yarn shops.

I hunted around in all my Elsebeth Lavold books and found several patterns that would work for a scarf! My yarn is Rowan "Tapestry". I bought the grey colorway and the beige colorway! Both will go with my two favorite winter coats.

Here is the work on the scarves as of today, as well as photos from the book, showing what the cable looks like in more detail. And a photo of the book, in case anyone has the book.

The grey scarf has 52 stitches, the beige scarf has 64 stitches, both using a US6 needle. These scarves are addicting, aren't they? Kinda like socks are addicting, although I have never tried socks. One of my many round-to-its!

The Beige Yarn.

The Beige Scarf, one full repeat, 24 rows.

The Beige Scarf pattern photo.

The Grey Yarn.

The Grey Scarf, two repeats.

The Grey Scarf pattern photo.

The Book

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Chel
Turning the Heel

Beautiful!

I absolutely LOVE Rowan Tapestry.
It is almost comparable to Malibrigo in feel. The colors are beautiful.

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Slim
Working the Gusset

Beautiful! I love the texture of a cabled scarf, your cable patterns are especially attractive. Great yarn choices, too.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (07-12-2007)
Old 07-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Chel View Post
Beautiful!

I absolutely LOVE Rowan Tapestry.
It is almost comparable to Malibrigo in feel. The colors are beautiful.
It is delightful to "feel" as it slips through my fingers. Nice to look at, too! A soft luster. However, I have to watch carefully for "splits"! I double back and fix splits everytime. They drive me bonkers. Tapesty is kinda split-prone...and especially so because I am using KnitPicks OPTIONS, which are pointy...but great for manipulating cables accurately and quickly! Everything is a trade-off!

I wanted to get two other colors, too...but...came to my senses!
As it is, I over-bought. Six skeins of each color. I had no idea how much yarn the cables would suck up...and I want the scarves to be 48" long. The shop owner said she would take back any unused skeins...so that is why I am getting on the ball and knitting the scarves now. Shops can't "take back" yarn that you've had for 6 months.

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
GinnyG
Instepping Out

VERY NICE!!

It cracks me up how you jump into complicated cable projects without a moments hesitation. Havining just finished my first Irish Hiking scarf I'm IN LOVE with cables but still trying to get the nerve up to launch the next project.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Braden
Instepping Out

Ingrid's inspired me to make some cabled scarves too, yours look great! I especially like the second one!

And yes, scarves are addicting, aren't they? They're like socks, you can put so many different variations in them.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (07-12-2007)
Old 07-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by ContiKnitter View Post
Ingrid's inspired me to make some cabled scarves too, yours look great! I especially like the second one!

And yes, scarves are addicting, aren't they? They're like socks, you can put so many different variations in them.
Yes, me too! I think Scarf #2 would be just as great for a guy as a gal! I will wear it with a bl/wh herringbone (black collar, double-breasted) winter coat.

The "side cables" for Scarf #1, the beiges, are a different little species!
Notice, there are garter stitches inserted into the middle of the 6-stitch cable... on rows 5 & 6 of the cable! I got the pattern for these little cables from a new book I bought. The book is almost useless because the author doesn't use the usual chart/graph symbols. So it is like having to learn "Greek". Also, her charts are (she thinks) so elementary that anyone can read them. Duh. Sorry, but no.

The regular way of charting is excellent. I tried one of her pattern charts and gave up in despair. Grrrr. I am going to take it back to my LYS ($36 book) and ask the shop owner help me "read" this author's charts. There a fabulous patterns in the book. I just didn't know that the charts would be in Greek.

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Wow, these are beautiful. And i absolutely love the colourways! Rowan rock, don't you agree?
I noticed you like this designer, Elsebeth Lavold. What is so special? I'm just starting with knitting books collection and i really like all this Nordic style. Though everyone thinks Israel is warm, it's only on summer. This last winter was long (November-March) and rather chilly...So i'm pretty sure this kind of sweaters will be very appropriate .
P.S. I just love your work, but how come you never tried socks?
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
Wow, these are beautiful. And i absolutely love the colourways! Rowan rock, don't you agree?
I noticed you like this designer, Elsebeth Lavold. What is so special? I'm just starting with knitting books collection and i really like all this Nordic style. Though everyone thinks Israel is warm, it's only on summer. This last winter was long (November-March) and rather chilly...So i'm pretty sure this kind of sweaters will be very appropriate .
P.S. I just love your work, but how come you never tried socks?

Thanks so much for your compliments!

Elsebeth Lavold is a very unique Designer! She has about 11 books out now...the book I posted here was her very first, before she had her own signature yarns. Her signture yarns were shown starting in Book 2.

Check out her website...each book will show you what is inside, page by page. Not all of her books are Viking Cables, although she really really excels at Viking Cables. It makes her stand out in the PACK!

I met her on an Alaskan Knitters Cruise in May 2004. I took her 20-hour intensive class. I had already knit several of her sweaters...but...I still learned a lot from her class. Also, if you send her an email with a question, or anything else, she will always answer back!

She has a lot of "signature yarns" that are featured in 10 of her books. Her signature yarns can also be seen on her website, but purchased in many LYS's or Ebay shops, and countless online shops.

I collect all of her books, sight unseen. Can't say that about any other Designers! Some of her designs are very simple, soft, easy to knit pieces! I love them all!

THIS is her latest book, and the designs were created to be fun and easy to knit!

And, HERE is the page that shows all her books! They are soft cover, and not too spendy!

Did you see the cardigan that I finished a few weeks ago? It is named "Opal"...and it, too, is an Elsebeth Lavold design! If you would like to see it...HERE is the link in Whatcha Knittin'!

I never tried socks because...hmmm...oh, I know...they are scary little things. I feel like I would need to take a Magic Loop sock class so that I can get my head wrapped around the concepts. Same goes with Entrelac. I tried an Entrelac dishcloth several months ago...what a disaster. All that time wasted only to find out I had something wrong up in rows 3 and above. It was all wonky and I had to tear it all down. I need a class for that.

But, classes are a challenge for me, time-wise. And, they are A LOT OF MONEY, don't you think? I'm not knocking the yarn shop...but...being a "material girl"...I always get to thinkin' how much yarn I could buy for the price of the class! Grrr. I drive myself crazy.

I so admire all the beautiful socks that I see our KH-ers knitting!
I really should join the SOCK HOP, shouldn't I?? And, socks are so useful on a day-to-day basis, any weather, anytime!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
KnittingNat (07-13-2007)
Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Superb! Terrific job so far! Can't wait to see them finished!
nonny2t is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (07-12-2007)