Old 01-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #41
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Yes. If you bound them off and then sewed them, it might be too tight. If you sew one stitch at a time off the needle, it isn't supposed to pull. This is an EZ technique for sewing up after though hems.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #42
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Thanks! I'm gonna work on it tonight and hopefully will make some progress and come up with something that will solve the problem. I think I have an idea that will not involve ripping out the trim that I had already done.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #43
dr.z0idberg
Casting On

wow... i learned a lot just by reading!!!! now i know curling wasn't me doing something wrong. :D

thank you very much for videos and such. it helps newbies a LOT.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Amy
If you like the stockinette look, a similar effect is to make a scarf in k1p1 ribbing. It lays flat and looks very stockinette-ish, since it contracts and you end up looking at all V's. Rather like a reversible stockinette. But you have to like working in ribbing, or want to get good practice at it.
er, a question. like Amy suggested, i tried to rib. as in k1p1. so if you are an english knitter who holds yearn on her right hand, do you have to 'untwist' every time you switch from knitting or purling? i find it very annoying and more importantly time consuming. is there any other way to do it? (or am i doomed? ) or should i change to continental?
dr.z0idberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #44
Mer
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by dr.z0idberg
wow... i learned a lot just by reading!!!! now i know curling wasn't me doing something wrong. :D

thank you very much for videos and such. it helps newbies a LOT.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Amy
If you like the stockinette look, a similar effect is to make a scarf in k1p1 ribbing. It lays flat and looks very stockinette-ish, since it contracts and you end up looking at all V's. Rather like a reversible stockinette. But you have to like working in ribbing, or want to get good practice at it.
er, a question. like Amy suggested, i tried to rib. as in k1p1. so if you are an english knitter who holds yearn on her right hand, do you have to 'untwist' every time you switch from knitting or purling? i find it very annoying and more importantly time consuming. is there any other way to do it? (or am i doomed? ) or should i change to continental?
Did someone answer your question yet? I"m not sure what you mean about "untwist"--you have to move the working yarn from front to back/back to front each time, but it shouldn't twist. :thinking:

"I will remember that no one has ever been killed or maimed by being adventurous with knitting, no matter how pointy the needles." The Yarn Harlot
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #45
catontheroof
Casting On

I'm doing the upper part of halter top in stockinette (the part like triangle... dec every row). It says to prevent curling I need to knit the first and last st of every purl row.... will it work? I need to know before I begin that part cuz if it doesnt work then I'll just have to try other options...
catontheroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #46
andypauline
Casting On

This may be a totally stupid idea but could you iron the stockinette scarf to help it lay flat? I'm a newbie too and am currently working on a purse done almost entirely in this stitch and its curling for me too. I thought that maybe ironing it would help. Is there a reason this won't work? I won't do it until I get an answer because I don't want to ruin my work. :D
Old 03-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #47
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you iron acrylic, it will melt! I'm not sure what would happen to wool, but usually wool can be blocked, at least with water or steam. It's the nature of stockinette to curl--the difference in tension between the knit side and the purl. BUT if you are going to seam the curling edges, that's enough to straighten them out.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #48
andypauline
Casting On

Glad I asked There are so many things I still have to learn.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #49
cozyhomelife
Casting On

This is no earthshattering news of enlightenment, but I'm thinking about scarfs that I see in the store for sale. If they are stockinette stitch they are NEVER one layer. They are knitted in the round and that makes them 'tubelike' so their rolling in just makes the tube, no problem.[/b]
cozyhomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #50
origami
Ribbing the Cuff

She probably was suggesting that you put a crocheted edge on it.

But yes, stockinette does curl. It just does. Consider it a "design feature."
origami is offline   Reply With Quote