Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/abctree.html#KNITHAT Is the knitted cap on that page your pattern?

That one calls for LB Pound of Love, Knit: 19 stitches x 24 rows = 4" (10 cm) on size 8 (5mm) needles. The yarn you linked to says, Knit Gauge: 16 stitches x 24 rows = 4".

You might consider running to Walmart or some place similar and picking up some LB Pound of Love or at least look at it and feel it to get an idea of how the two compare. I'm knitting with LBPoL to make a sweater. It's so soft, I love it.

If you want to look at other patterns, here's a search result on ravelry for Easy Newborn Beanies. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sear...c=beanie-toque
I was shopping at Hobby Lobby and they didn't have that yarn. I really like the yarn I have so I may just have to find a new pattern or give it a go and see what happens.
OHmama is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
I was thinking that you might compare the two yarns to see the differences, the yarn you have is what you should use for a hat. Knitting a baby hat won't be a long-term project and if it turns out to be too large for a newborn you can save it for later. I think going for it is a good idea. There are a lot of patterns at ravelry and other places. Whatever pattern you choose, have fun.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

I was thinking that you might compare the two yarns to see the differences, the yarn you have is what you should use for a hat. Knitting a baby hat won't be a long-term project and if it turns out to be too large for a newborn you can save it for later. I think going for it is a good idea. There are a lot of patterns at ravelry and other places. Whatever pattern you choose, have fun.
OK!I think I will just go for it!It will be a good learning experience for me.It isn't a big project and should take too long so I'll just try it and if it seems like it's not working..maybe I'll just start over.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Good for you! A completed hat will be a good thing to have and good for you too! Have fun. Be sure to let us know if you run into any problems, and we'd love to see the FO!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You should be able to find a similar yarn at hobby lobby, some of their baby yarns are worsted weight which is the '4 - medium'. Look for one whose label gauge uses size 7 or 8 needles.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

The hat seems to be knitting up ok so far but the 1" of ribbing seems to be looking odd...I don't know if I messed it up(I know how to rib)or if it's the yarn. If I can figure out how to post a pic,can you guys tell me what you think?I'd hate to start over.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
There could be numerous reasons for a problem so it's hard to say without a pic. Check the link in my signature to find out appropriate sizes and how to post

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm not sure if you can tell anything by this pic but this definitely doesn't look like ribbing to me.
Attached Images:

Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I think you're knitting flat, not in the round? Your photo looks as if you're doing seed stitch, to me at least. If you check the videos here you can scroll down to Stitch Patterns and find the videos for Ribbing and Seed Stitch. I'd link to them directly but the videos here are available in Continental or English style and I don't know which you use. I think what has happened is you knitted where you should have purled and vice versa. The videos should help you get it figured out. Are you using the Bev's Country Cottage pattern?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
OHmama
Ribbing the Cuff

I think you're knitting flat, not in the round? Your photo looks as if you're doing seed stitch, to me at least. If you check the videos here you can scroll down to Stitch Patterns and find the videos for Ribbing and Seed Stitch. I'd link to them directly but the videos here are available in Continental or English style and I don't know which you use. I think what has happened is you knitted where you should have purled and vice versa. The videos should help you get it figured out. Are you using the Bev's Country Cottage pattern?
It is the pattern from Bev's country cottage and it's supposed to be 1" of k2,p2 and knit the rest of the rows.I think I may have to start over,but I have time. I'm not sure whether I use Continental or English either