Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
TheLegendaryKing
Casting On

Knitting a detailed picture/portrait
Hello everyone! I am somewhat new to knitting and loving it! I was planning to prepare for a large project soon, and I just wanted to know what methods I should practice to prepare for it.

As an example, I'll use the Mona Lisa. I indexed it for a realistic reference to the graph (what I am planning doesn't have THIS many colours spread out in the background; it has about 7 - 10 overall. Also, the background will be more solid, I am more focused on the people in my picture).

I just don't know if it would be possible or manageable to knit 2 squares one colour, then knit 1 another, then 3 another, and so on for the shadows on the face/background/clothes and what not. I do want to make it as detailed as possible.

So with that, I am curious as to what methods make pictures look the best? What techniques are needed to pull this off? Is thinner yarn better to make pictures look really good?

I do apologize for all of these questions at once, and I acknowledge the fact that a project like this takes a very long time, but I think I am ready and am excited to start knitting a picture.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	monalisaknit.png
Views:	125
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	56496  
TheLegendaryKing is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

It is possible to use multiple colors when knitting.

To get the detail/shadowing you want you would need to use fair-isle/stranded knitting and switch colors every few stitches.

Using smaller/thinner yarn would be better if you want a detailed image. You will have to knit more stitches to get your overall size, but you will have better control over the smaller shapes within the image (curves can look like curves rather than steps).

Here's some inspiration
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-lisa-illusion
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,598 Posts
That's a cool idea. Too ambitious for me, but still cool. I hope you keep us informed of your progress. I did a quick search, have you seen this site? http://www.pictureknitting.com/how_to.html They are selling something but it looks like you can get a lot of info and not spend a penny.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
TheLegendaryKing
Casting On

Originally Posted by RochesterKnitter View Post
It is possible to use multiple colors when knitting.

To get the detail/shadowing you want you would need to use fair-isle/stranded knitting and switch colors every few stitches.

Using smaller/thinner yarn would be better if you want a detailed image. You will have to knit more stitches to get your overall size, but you will have better control over the smaller shapes within the image (curves can look like curves rather than steps).

Here's some inspiration
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-lisa-illusion
Thanks for the information! I will look at those techniques.

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
That's a cool idea. Too ambitious for me, but still cool. I hope you keep us informed of your progress. I did a quick search, have you seen this site? http://www.pictureknitting.com/how_to.html They are selling something but it looks like you can get a lot of info and not spend a penny.
Thanks! Will do! I know it will be a while, but I will definitely post progress when I get a good amount finished.

I have seen that site before. For the colour switching, though, would it be better to do the Fair Isle technique, Intarsia, or any others? Also, is making a large photo with 10+ colours in detail even approachable?

Here is another example of a photo with a good amount of colors (set to about 10) and many switches with high details and shadows (indexed for grid reference):
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gearsknit.png
Views:	38
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	56498  
TheLegendaryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
Hi and welcome!
You can combine fair isle and intarsia in one project. For the detailed areas, fair isle is the best technique but if the background isn't too complicated, you can use intarsia there. There are videos for both under the Free Videos tab at the top of the page, Advanced Techniques.
There's also this site which may help with charting the picture if you need it.
http://domestikgoddess.com/3-easy-wa...tting-pattern/