Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
AnnaCoul
Casting On

Not Fishermans Rib I know
Hi,
I'm making my mum a 60th Bday pressie (Meringue Hand Knitted Cowl from mylittlecitygirl.com) and I'm a bit stuck before I've even started!
The instructions for it are Fishermans Rib and they are:
Row 1: [K1, P1] across
Row 2: [K1, yo sl 1 purlwise] across
Row 3: [K1 tog with yo from prev row (knit the stitch that was slippd in the prev row together with its yarn over), yo, sl 1 purlwise] across.

So I can do up to row 3 in the brackets. I can do the K1 tog with yo from prev row but the brackets get me lost. Once I've done the 1st bit all there is left is the slippd stitch, no yo over to knit it with. Can anyone explain it any better?
I've looked up Fishermans Rib which I've done before on other things but this is not what I would call Fishermans Rib and I can't find anything that will help.

It's only 1.5mths till my mums big day so I'd love to get onto it and would love any help.
Thanks
Anna
AnnaCoul is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
Hi and welcome to Knitting Help! These directions are for brioche stitch which gives a fabric that looks like Fisherman's Rib but is worked differently. You could look at the directions on the brioche site together with the definition for more about brioche. And of course, you could always follow the instructions for Fisherman's Rib if you prefer.
The directions for row 3 could be simplified to:
[knit the stitch that was slipped in the prev row together with its yarn over, yo, sl 1 purlwise] across. You should be knitting the slipped stitch together with the yo from the previous row, then makng a new yo and finally slipping the knit stitch from the previous row.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Did you do the YO as a wrap and knit stitch, or just wrap the yarn around the needle? A yo is just wrapping the yarn around the needle as if you were knitting a stitch, but the needle isn't inserted into a stitch on the other needle.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
AnnaCoul
Casting On

Thanks. I'll look up that stitch and see if it helps and try your simplifd explanation.

Yes, did it as a yarn over a over the needle only.

Thanks for your quick answers, it really helps. Want to make sure I have plenty of time to finish it for her bday. She really likes the pic I showed her. Told her I'm making it for myself (which I will after I've finished her one) and she said how much she liked the 'lace' look it had.
Will let you know how I get on!
AnnaCoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Heh, well it's not exactly lace, but it is open and loose. Fisherman's rib is a nice stitch - I do it with a k1 below instead of the sl/yo which is knit together on the next row. That's how I first learned it and seems like it's one less step.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote