Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
MrsJacks
Casting On

Fibro knitter, checking in! I find that my hands and elbows hurt much more when using larger needles. I'm usually fine with any size smaller than a 5(US). Anything larger and I find myself either having to take breaks or switch to my Denise needles from nickel plated ones. I've also noticed that extended periods of purling really get to me, so I have to be mindful of patterns that call for lots of repeated purl rows.

I also have found that posture matters, but I have found I have more trouble with aching, burning shoulder blades when sitting at my spinning wheel. With knitting, I can recline back onto a pillow, if necessary.
MrsJacks is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

It is so nice to know that one is not alone in this nasty illness Thanks for the tips! Since finishing my great-nephew's hat last night my hands are really killing me, but I was so excited to make my own first designed piece that even though I was in severe pain, I had to finish it. Tonight I am planning out the hat for my aunt who is going to be going through chemo soon. Prayers are very much appreciated.
Paulaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
insanenewknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting is so bad sometimes I don't know how I can ever keep on doing it. It bothers me a lot in my arms, so I'll normally just take a break and it generally gets relieved. If not, massaging is helpful. I've never tried any creams or lotions, I'm a little wary because I have super sensitive skin. I have more trouble with my back and neck, though, and sensitive areas where I've broken bones in the past.
Posture seems to be real important, slouching shoulders has regrettable consequences later. And it puts less strain on the back if you avoid bending over, and use squat at your knees instead. Another helpful tips is to keep your back straight and to use a lumbar support. Even a rolled up towel behind your lower back is helpful.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
tangrene
Ribbing the Cuff

CFIDS abd Fibromyalgia here
Aspercreme! I frequently have to use Aspercreme on my hands in order to get my fingers from getting stuck into painful hooks...LOL! Capsasin works for my lower back somewhat...at least I am able to keep my mind on the knitting a hand for a little while before I have to stop.

As far as the pain in the shoulders and the heaviness of the arms...what I do generally is go to bed and knit in a reclined position where I can use pillows to support my shoulders and arms. I can't knit sitting in a chair on on the couch for much more than 15-30 mins...so I had to learn to knit in bed. Some days I can't knit more than 10-30 mins at a time before having to re position myself with something or other.

I'm not complaining however because there was 10 years or more I couldn't even hold needles or hooks and make stitches consistently...so I'm happy just to be able to see and to be able to knit for now.
tangrene is offline   Reply With Quote