Old 01-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

FO: Threecoloured Baret in Beige :D
First, the finished product.

Side:

Top:

I added some wrist warmers as I had some leftover yarn AND my coat is actually a bit too short on the arms so they're quite useful They look best when you twist them a bit so the stripes don't run straight:

The pattern was in Dutch, but there were not a lot of words so I've translated it. If you think it has some strange terms, do let me know and I'll try to find better synonyms. However, it was not that understandable in Dutch either... I even went to a wool store to ask an expert knitter (and sales lady) what to do with it and she could not give me a straight answer. She said she had to try it herself first, to be absolutely sure about what they wanted us to do!

ORIGINAL PATTERN
This baret with diagonal stripes you'll knit transverse. (I am not sure what they mean by this ???) The model gets its shape from the shortened rows. There is a nice effect due to the alternation of colours and reliefstripes in stocking stitch and purled stocking stitch.

Measures:
54 cm (head circumference)
Needles:
7 mm (nr. 10,5)
Used stitches:
A) Stocking Stitch: knit RS, purl WS [SS]
B) Purled Stocking Stitch: purl RS, knit WS [PSS]

Knit the baret transverse. The model gets its shape from the shortened rows.
Knit the start of every RS row from the right side like this:
edge stitch, slip 1 knitwise, knit next stitch as it shows, pass slipped stitch over this one.
Increase in rows of normal size with 1 stitch (in horizontal connection loop) at the end of the row, before the last stitch.

Pattern part for the stripes is edited out for copyright reasons

Finishing
Make the finished baret moist or put a moist towel over it and let it dry.
Stitch the seams "closed" (I guess in English one would say: stitch the seams together ?).
String a thread through the edge stitches of the upper edge, pull it tight and fasten the end off on the inside (WS) of the knitwork. (They're not very clear about defining the upper edge)
Crochet with black a border along the lower edge of the baret.
Crochet 4 rows in single crochet in the loops that are fartest back. (neither the lower edge, nor the "fartest back loops" are defined.)

The pattern was accompanied by this schematic picture of the finished dimensions:

As the head circumference has to be 54cm, I took that the edge of 70cm would be the lower edge and the 30cm would be the side that had to be pulled together. The 25.5cm sides are alike, so they are probably the seams that need to be stitched "closed".

As for the stripes, I took that the coloured (green and blue) stripes were the same (4 rows of which the last 2 shortened). The same goes for the black stripes (6 rows of which the middle 2 shortened) - so as I only used beige I had a pattern which repeated over 10 rows.
Though this seems easy enough, I was not sure about the "edge stitch" and the increasing/decreasing. If you read carefully, you see that one has to decrease in every RS row but only increase in rows of normal size. However, this would diminish the total amount of stitches, as over a pattern of 10 rows one would increase 3 times and decrease 5 times. So I chose to also only decrease in rows of normal size.

Before deciding this I had made this chart for my own use - to get a better picture of it all:

As you see I was doubtful (the discontinious lines) about the last 2 stripes and the "edge stitch" (yellow cross) and the decreasing (orange round for slipped stitch). I never got round to finish this chart... I guess I should after finishing this post - as I plan to knit this pattern again. With colours this time.

I already mentioned the "edge stitch". My mother told me that this is a common term to use for a stitch which you do not knit in the RS row (slip the stitch), but only on the WS. I did this and it worked out fine, but I could not find this definition on the net so I wonder whether it is just her interpretation or as the makers of the pattern intended it. It works like a charm though, so:
Every row on the RS I started and ended with a slip stitch.
This edge stitch in the end of the row is a result of the line "string the thread through the edge stitches of the upper edge".

Notice that all the WS rows of this pattern are knitted completely in purl or knit That was handy.

Everything above is my interpretation of the pattern, not a change in the pattern (I think). One thing I did do differently is the decrease itself: I did not knit the 3rd stitch "as it showed", I knitted it as the whole row was knitted. So a knit in the coloured stripes and a purl in the black. I did slip the stitch as if I would knit it all the time, no matter whether the row was in PSS or SS. It worked out fine this way.
As to why I changed it - it seems to be the obvious way for me and I had done it that way before realizing it had to be done differently according to the pattern. Instead of having to remind myself over and over to do it that way I figured I would just go for this "natural" way Otherwise it would have gone wrong for sure

When the knitting part of the pattern was done, I had this:

Which looks quite like the pattern intended. The dimensions were not quite right, as my yarn had a different gauge. I did calculate for the changes and my 38 stitches did get me a 25cm seam. The upper edge was 30cm but the big difference was the lower edge. I swear that after knitting all evening this was 68cm, which seemed good enough for me and I casted off. But the next morning it was only 60cm! For some reason the 30cm and 25cm hadn't changed though At this point in time I was very happy for the fact that it still needed a crochet border, while I am not that good at crocheting

I stitched the seams together like this:

Then I pulled the top (upper edge) together:

Now it looks a lot like a normal hat, but when you smash it a bit you can see the shape of a baret:

I wish I could fix it with a twirl like this any ideas?

As for the crochet border, the pattern says nothing about how to go from the 70cm knit to the 54cm headcircumference So I figured I should just start and see where it got me. If anybody has any ideas regarding this matter, I refer to this thread. For the fact that it worked out fine this time has nothing to do with skill and everything with being just strangely lucky!

The crocheting went way better then I expected, as the "edge stitch" makes it easy to find the loops to crochet in

I basically crochet a single crochet in every loop, but as this seemed to pull the work together quite a bit I sometimes put two stitches in one loop during the SSstripes (as these are 2 rows less than the PSSstripes and tend to "fall away" a bit). It really all just went on feeling - I figured I would measure the circumference in the end and see what I got. Trial and error.

It worked out way better than I expected:

As you can see, the first row gave me a circumference of 27x2=54cm

However, adding a second row (just crocheting in every crochet loop) gave me an additional decrease:

I thought about starting over, but the hat fitted me perfectly so I guess my head was not the 54 cm I had thought it was Funny thing

The next 2 rows of crochet did not change anything about the circumference.

Well, that is it. As I now have this experience, I will start doing this pattern in the intended colours. I already bought the yarn, but it is going to become interesting as I couldn't find the right colour in the thickness this pattern needs - so I will be knitting with 3 threads of yarn again... that makes 9 balls of yarn when all the colours are connected to the knitwork... I am very curious how that will work out It is a good thing I do not have a cat...

QUESTION
And if someone has a nice idea for a neckwarmer or gloves to go with this, I would really like to hear it. The jacket I plan to wear this with has long enough sleaves, so I won't need any handwarmers. I do plan on knitting one green and one blue glove though And a neckwarmer, as the jacket has an amazing colar, but needs some extra warmth around the neck.
The jacket is black, so I would go for a neckwarmer in blue/green. But I would like to keep the style of the baret - with the PSS and the SS. Same for the gloves. Any ideas?

Last edited by KnitBeg : 01-06-2013 at 09:14 AM.
KnitBeg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,347 Times in 3,031 Posts
You've made a beautiful hat and really done a masterful job of interpreting the pattern. The crochet edging worked out very well and you solved the problem of decreasing to fit your head size very neatly. It's a lovely set. Enjoy wearing it and knitting the next one!

(Even though this is your translation, it would be best to edit the pattern you've given because of copyright issues, please.)
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
nonny2t
Instepping Out

They look lovely. I am sure you are going to enjoy wearing them.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,057 Times in 2,569 Posts
Beautifully done, they'll be a joy to wear.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
dturner
Turning the Heel

Both the beret and the wrist warmers are lovely! You asked about a neck warmer. What about something like the Padding ton neck warmer pattern by Roxanne Wood? It's a similar style, and it's a free pattern on Ravelry.
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dturner For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

@dturner
Thank you for the recommendation. I checked it out and yes, that might work nicely with the baret. I'll just have to figure out what to do with the colours but I really like the structure or relief or whatever it is called.

@salmonac
Done
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,892 Times in 3,013 Posts
So nice! Great knitting process, KnitBeg!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote