Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
susianna
Ribbing the Cuff

dpn troubles
A few weeks ago, I started working with (4) dpn's to knit a hat (my first) for my brother, and it has been a nightmare! I read the instructions from a few of my knitting books, and also watched the video from KH, but even with the video I still don't get it. My biggest problem is: which needle is the "next" needle?
Now, I saw the two other ways of knitting small diameter items: the one where you use two circs, and the Magic Loop. Are these subsitutes for dpn's, then? I would love to try one of these, maybe the ML since to me that seems easier for me to get. I'd love to hear some of your opinions- do you use the ML method, or two circs? Or, any advice on using the dpn's? I'm stubborn, and I don't like to give up on something; on the other hand, fighting with my dpn's these past few weeks is wearing me out. Thank you much!
susianna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,507 Posts
Which needle is next? Here's how I think of it. The stitches are all connected just as they would be on a straight needle, so the next needle is the one with the next stitch, you wouldn't skip ahead and start knitting on a stitch that isn't next in line.

I use magic loop a lot. I have used two circs but I have this problem of using the wrong needle and ending up with a mess. No matter how I determine to concentrate and pay attention, pretty soon I've used the wrong needle and have to go back and get things sorted out and in the right order again...that's especially true when I'm knitting 2 of something at a time. I prefer magic loop because there are fewer moving parts, others like 2 needles better, it's a matter of personal preference, or as in my case, reducing the options and opportunities for screwing up.

Are circs a substitute fore dpns? I guess they could be thought of like that but to me they are another way of doing the same thing. Anything that can be knit on dpns can be knit on circs and vice versa.

Disclaimer: I've not used dpns much because I had circs and they were easier to cope with. The very skinny dpns I used were dangerous to my health, safety, and well being. LOL However, I did just buy some sz 7 dpns thinking they'd be useful for i cords and holding sts....and they were on sale very cheap.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
susianna (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,973 Posts
There are several ways to knit in the round, ML and 2 circs among them. When the project is finished no one will be able to tell which method you used. Why not try ML since it intrigues you? Later you can give the others a try too until you find one that you prefer.

As for the dpns, it may help to start a project like a hat on straight needles and then switch to dpns after 2-3 rows. You can then join to knit in the round without twisting and seam the initial gap at the end. The 'next; needle is just the one to the left. As usual, you're knitting from the left needle to the right needle, freeing up the left needle to use as the working needle and proceding to the next needle on the left.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
susianna (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
susianna
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm gonna try the Magic Loop, then...thank you both!
susianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Fergablu2
Casting On

It's easier to knit a hat using a 16" circular to start and then switch to DPN's when the top decreases leave you with too few stitches to make it around the cord. Mark the right side of the work with a stitch marker, and just knit from right to left from needle to needle. If you want to only use DPN's for a hat, it's better to distribute the stitches on 4 needles and knit with a 5th.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,507 Posts
I've yet to figure out why it's considered necessary to switch to dpns on a hat. Maybe because I only use longer cables or can switch to a longer cable easily, but I just loop the cable once or twice and keep on knitting with the circs. I've gone down to 8 sts on circs. I guess if you're using fixed circs and don't have a long one in the same needle size it makes sense to need dpns. OK, maybe I just figured it out. Thanks for letting me *think out loud*.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Well if you use 16" circs, you can do single loop for a while with the decs, but you still need something to help finishing the top. Adding another needle, whether a dpn or other circ, or using a longer circ and ML all work okay.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (12-30-2012)