KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   West Coast / Central Oddball Baby Blankets (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81361)

Shandeh 07-07-2008 01:17 AM

West Coast / Central Oddball Baby Blankets

Hello friendly charity knitters and crocheters!

We work together to make Oddball Baby Blankets for charity. Our blankets will be made according to the requests of our local hospital(s), so keep watching this thread to see our guidelines.

purlingkitten will be the leader for the West Coast / Central Region Oddball Baby Blankets.

The West Coast / Central Region includes: Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

If you would like to volunteer to help make our blankets, please send purlingkitten a private message, and she'll help you get started!

Our project will begin in August, so let's start our plans!

auburnchick 07-07-2008 04:38 PM

Hi all!

I wanted to let you know that I'm excited that I will be coordinating the West Coast Oddball Baby Blanket project.

Please forgive me if it's slow going at first. Sandy is bringing me up to speed with the knitters and geography.

I'll be doing some research about where we want to donate our blankets. If you have any ideas, please speak up.

Please let me know if you want to join our efforts and if you have any comments and/or suggestions.

:muah:

gmmarton 07-07-2008 06:15 PM

Hey Chick! You know I will help you out! Of course, I will be involved with the Northeast crowd as well. :woohoo: Too cool!

I made a good contact today at a local hospital. I chatted with the Child Life Therapist for Pediatrics; she was very delighted to hear that we will have some baby blankets for her newbies. She didn't put any parameters on what I was suggesting, so I would have to say it was a very successful discussion.

I'll be in touch!

auburnchick 07-07-2008 06:35 PM

Thanks Gail! You're an amazing gal...so energetic and enthusiastic. I know that ultimately, we're all here for each other. That's what makes these projects so special.

Talk to you soon!

:muah:

Shandeh 07-08-2008 07:26 PM

Go West Coast! :cheering:

auburnchick 07-08-2008 11:24 PM

Here's a list of West Coast knitters...

jhelanee
Ladylou
pinnut3200
Tobinknit
PeattieWa
auntcrafty

We're blessed to have a couple of Ravelry members as well:

grannydani
nostash2big

Recruit your friends! Let's grow this group so we can knit up a bunch of blankets!

If you're interested in becoming a part of this group, please send me a PM.

Oh, and I'm trying to design a button, but I have no clue how to go about it. If anyone wants to help out with this, let me know.

Ladylou 07-08-2008 11:41 PM

Hi There!

Oh, this really is very exciting:teehee: I'm so happy we're blessed to have such a great leader!:woohoo:

I'd be happy to help you design a button. I've had a little bit of experience with computer graphics (i took a class on it) so if you'd like I can make a few for you to pick from:aww: Send me a pm if you'd like!

Do we know how we're going to go about making the blankets? (i.e. squares or like we've done it in the past?):aww:

I hope everyone is doing well!

Love,
Lexie:muah:

auburnchick 07-08-2008 11:48 PM

Hey Lexie!

Oh, please do design a button!

As far as the way we'll do the blankets, I think we should keep things as Shandeh set them up...each knitter knitting 4" and sending the blankets along to the next person. The blankets will be finished off with some sort of border.

I need to find some places to donate them to. I was hoping that we could donate a few to charities in each knitter's location (mine excluded since I'm outside of this region). Then, each knitter will have the opportunity and privilege of delivering blankets.

What do you think?

Each place would need to be contacted (I can handle this) to determine special requirements.

Ladylou 07-09-2008 07:42 PM

Hi There!

I'll get right on it!:cheering: I should have two of them done within the next few days. Are there any color requirements and anything you dont want on it, Ms. Nathalie?:)

I really love the idea that we all get to pick a place where they go!:yay: Warm Woolies is a really really fantastic project (you can check them out here: http://www.warmwoolies.org) and is based in Denver which is pretty close to me. They really need the blankets (i've knit two ones by myself for them so far:) ) and I thought this might be a good idea for one place?:aww: I completely understand if ya'll want them to go to hospitals as that is the general mission of Oddball, but they would end up in orphanages in places like Russia and S. Africa:)

Love,
Lexie:muah:

auburnchick 07-09-2008 08:19 PM

I have no preferences on the colors for the buttons. I trust your judgment. :thumbsup:

As far as the charity, it doesn't matter to me...as long as we check them out and make sure our stuff is going to go where it needs to be.

I would like to know what places you pick so I can check them out for myself and make sure I'm familiar with all of the particulars...yarn requirements, size, etc.

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm, my friend. :muah: